Year Date Events
1950   Trappist Monastery of Our Lady of Liesse moved to Hong Kong.
22 March In Hoi Fung, Bishop Bianchi and other Italian missionaries imprisoned.
16 July Holy Souls Church (later Our Lady of Mount Carmel), Wanchai, blessed (taking over St. Francis Parish).
  Columban Fathers established their Procure.
  Daughters of Mary Help of Christians arrived.
  MEP Sisters arrived.
1951 3 September Death of Bishop Valtorta.
  Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian) established their Procure.
  Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Scheut Fathers) established their Procure (took up pastoral work in Hung Hom in 1956).
  Sisters of the Good Shepherd arrived to work with problem girls (Home in Kowloon in 1951, Marycove in 1967).
1952   Tsuen Wan and Yuen Long divided into independent districts.
  Centres and chapels opened in refugee areas:
* King
s Park, Bishop Valtorta Memorial Chapel;
* Chai Wan, Star of the Sea Chapel (parish since 31-5-1957);
* Tung Tau Tsuen, Nativity of Our Lady Chapel (parish since 31-5-1957; suppressed and incorporated partly in St. Patrick
s Parish, partly in Mother of Good Counsel Parish on 15 April 1990);
* Kowloontsai, St. Peter
s Chapel (parish since 31-5-1957);
* Diamond Hill, Holy Family Chapel (parish since 31-5-1957);
* Ngau Tau Kok, Our Lady Queen of Angels Chapel (parish since 31-5-1957, transferred to Shun Lei in 1979);
* Cheung Sha Wan, Our Lady Mediatrix Chapel (parish since 31-5-1957, incorporated in St. Lawrence Parish in 1960, demolished in 1970).
  Franciscans started work in Ma On Shan District: St. Joseph Chapel (25 April 1952), (St. Francis Church [4 October 1955]; parish since 1 July 1979).
  Islands District started to have a resident priest (in Cheung Chau).
17 October Bishop Bianchi released from Communist China (installed as 2nd Bishop on 26 October).
1953 13 June St. Anthonys Church blessed.
  Sisters Announcers of the Lord arrived from Shiu Chou.
1954 14 April St. Josephs Church, Fanling, blessed.
  The Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (ICM) (at that time known as Missionary Canonesses of St. Augustine) Chinese Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (from Kongmun), Helpers of the Holy Souls, Chinese Sisters of the Immaculate Conception arrived for pastoral and educational work in refugee areas.
8 December Diocesan Marian Rally held at Caroline Hill.
1955   St. Pius Xs Chapel blessed (erected as a parish on 31-5-1957, included in St. Vincents Parish, Wong Tai Sin in 1962, demolished in 1980).
1956 2 June Sacred Heart Church, Shatin, blessed.
21 October St. Francis of Assisi Church, Sham Shui Po, blessed (opened in December 1955, taking over the Precious Blood Parish).
  Little Sisters of Jesus started their first fraternity in Taipo.
1957 1 March Our Lady of the Rosary Church, Kennedy Town, blessed (work started in 1953, erected as a parish on 31-5-1957, rebuilt in 1960).
31 May Decree erecting 8 new parishes and dividing Tai Po into Tai Po, Shatin and Fan Ling Districts.
3 December St. Judes Parish, North Point, erected (founded in 1953).
1958 February Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows arrived for educational work in Shatin.
16 June Caritas Hong Kong established by Bishop Bianchi as the official Social Welfare bureau of the Roman Catholic Church in Hong Kong.
18 December Ss. Peter and Paul Church, Yuen Long and Raimondi College blessed by H.E. Card. Agagianian (雅靜安樞機), Prefect of SCPF.
1959 8 January Diocesan Council for the Lay Apostolate established.
9 April New premises of the Catholic Centre, Connaught Road, opened.
15 August St. Annes Church and St. Teresas School, Stanley, blessed.
20 September New Sacred Heart Church, Sai Kung, blessed.
21 November St. Marys Parish, Hung Hom, erected (church blessed on 25 November).