EUSEBE de Jesus SPC
* 1877 年 11
日在法國 (France) 聖特拉斯堡
Death of Sister Eusebe
Well Known Figure in Hong Kong
On Sunday, 23 September 1959, Sister Eusebe de Jesus, died in St. Paul’s Hospital, Causeway Bay. Sister Eusebe had been in Hong Kong since 1901 with breaks covering the two World War periods.
She was born Catherine Hermann at Geispolsheim, Strasbourg on 22 November 1877 and entered the community of the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres in October 1897. She arrived in Hong Kong on 13 February 1901. At that time the centre of activity of the French Sisters was their combined school, creche, hospital and old women’s home in Wanchai, and Sister Eusebe started her mission work in Hong Kong in charge of the old women. In 1906 she took the old women to the new buildings in Calvaire in Happy Valley, and she remained in charge there until 1912. Then she was recalled to the Wanchai house to take charge of the small hospital there. 1913 saw her returning to Europe where she had the opportunity of visiting her parents.
The outbreak of the First World War prevented her return to Hong Kong and she was sent to Dreux to nurse the wounded soldiers. When accommodation to the Far East became available in 1917, Sister Eusebe immediately returned to Hong Kong and soon commenced her long period of association with St. Paul’s Hospital. There her care of the sick quickly gained for her a devoted band of ex-patients. She was especially devoted to the care of sick priests and religious, and it was during this period that Monsignor Pozzoni, the Vicar-Apostolic of Hong Kong, gave her the name of “The Queen of the Clergy.” In 1935 when Mother Paul retired to France. Sister Eusebe replaced her as Superior of the Hospital.
In 1942, during the Second World War, many of the Sisters were moved to Saigon. Sister Eusebe went with them and in Saigon worked at the Seminary taking care of the priests and seminarians. She returned to Hong Kong in April 1946, and was appointed Superior of St. Theresa’s Hospital, Kowloon.
She remained there until when the passing of the year began to make it too difficult for her to carry out her duties in the manner which she saw as necessary.
She came back to St. Paul’s Hospital, where for the last ten years she was, in her own work “a resting and praying Sisters”. Mostly it was praying, for us two days before her death still rose at 4.30 each morning and spent at least six or seven hours of each day in the hospital’s Chapel. Her devotion to the Mass and the Blessed Sacrament was so great that it was impossible to keep her in bed even a single day. To her “good and faithful servant” was the one who stayed with the Master to the end. May she rest in peace.
His Lordship Bishop Bianchi officiated at the funeral on
Monday which was attended a large and representative gathering of the clergy,
sister and faithful.
28 September 1959